Although it has the appearance of a beacon, it is classified as a lighthouse because it has a range of over 10 nautical miles.
Was designed by Rafael Soler. Fishermen from the harbour at Cala Figuera near Santanyí had been asking over the years for a beacon to be installed to make entering the harbour at night safer. The Mayor of Santanyí finally presented a formal written request on the 30th June 1953.
The plan provided for a tower with octagonal facings and a circular interior. There was no possibility of access from the sea due to the steep cliffs in the area, so an old track known as the “Camí de sa Torre d’en Beu” was improved.
An old watchtower can still be seen near the lighthouse.