You are in Home > Son Marroig
  •  

Son Marroig

Museos

LOCATION

Archduke Louis Salvador of Austria is a key figure in the cultural history of the Balearic Islands in the late 19th century. His curiosity and intelligence led him to write the most exhaustive tome ever on the islands, Die Balearen, illustrated with his drawings. On Mallorca, where he spent long periods, he purchased Miramar (a former monastery founded by Raymond Lully), the S’Estaca estate and the possessió of Son Marroig, today a House-Museum devoted to this nobleman who so loved the island.

Archduke Louis Salvador of Austria is a key figure in the cultural history of the Balearic Islands in the late 19th century. His curiosity and intelligence led him to write the most exhaustive tome ever on the islands, Die Balearen, illustrated with his drawings. On Mallorca, where he spent long periods, he purchased Miramar (a former monastery founded by Raymond Lully), the S’Estaca estate and the possessió of Son Marroig, today a House-Museum devoted to this nobleman who so loved the island.

Until 1870, when it was bought by the Archduke, the possessió of Son Marroig had been the site of olive farming, vineyards and grain fields, and it also produced honey and silkworms. This nobleman saved the estate from oblivion by restoring it and adding Italianate elements and the lookout points over Sa Foradada. Upon his death, the estate was bequeathed to his personal secretary, Antoni Vives, and in 1929, the painter Antoni Ribas turned it into a museum.

This House-Museum displays the archduke’s drawings, books and personal effects, as well as a major collection of paintings by Joaquim Mir, Antoni Ribas Oliver, Bauzà, Erwin Hubert and Pizà. A stroll through the gardens affords views of the enormous well, the “Des Galliner” lookout point and the emblematic temple made of Carrara marble. It also boasts one of the best views over the Tramuntana mountain range and Sa Foradada point. Since 1978, Son Marroig has also been the venue for the International Festival of Deià, devoted to chamber music.