Construction began on 25 July 1786, when the rector Nicolau Pons laid the first stone of the new church.
Construction began on 25 July 1786, when the rector Nicolau Pons laid the first stone of the new church. This is the reason why the town festival is celebrated on the same day. The works took 25 years.
It is built with Santanyí stone. The monumental Baroque organ is the most outstanding feature among the church’s many attractive elements, including the altarpiece of the chapels and the main altarpiece made by Pere A. Umbert. It was brought from the Covent of the Dominicans in Palma after the minister Mendizábal announced the seizure of church property. Santanyí Town Hall bought the organ, which was transported by sea to Cala Figuera and then moved to the church using several carts. The organ is so big that the building had to be altered to make room. Nevertheless, the three original keyboards could not be installed and only two could be fitted in.
The bell tower was built in 1850 by initiative of the church administrator Oliver de ca Lluc.