The strategic location of the “City of Alcúdia”, which was already acknowledged and valued during the Roman period, involved risks due to its proximity to the sea. Therefore, King Jaume II designed a protection system, the walls, with a double purpose: to protect the townsfolk and to build a stronghold in the northeast of the island against attacks from outsiders. At the end of the 19th century part of the walls collapsed and people claimed for protection of this architectural good. This effort would end in 1974 when the walls were declared particular Historic and Artistic Interest “Conjunto Histórico Artístico”
Alcúdia’s strategic location on the northeast of Mallorca and near the sea exposed the city to invaders. For this reason, King James II prepared a protection system to defend the local people and turn Alcúdia into a safe haven in the event of an attack from the outside. Thus, in the 14th century construction got underway on the city walls, although they were not finished until the end of the century.
The walls were originally a rectangular structure six metres tall reinforced with 26 towers scattered along the 1.5 km perimeter. This defensive structure delimited the historic nucleus of Alcúdia. Over the centuries, the walled premises underwent successive modifications, some of them quite important, such as the one undertaken after the Guerra de las Germanías (Revolt of the Brotherhoods – 1523), when it was reinforced with three bulwarks: Xara, Vila Roja and Església.
Due to the rise in population, in the late 19th century part of the modern walls were torn down, while at the same time voices started to rise in defence of protecting this architectural heritage. The walls were declared a Historical-Artistic Complex in 1974. Today, strolling through the old quarter of Alcúdia, which is marked off by the fortified premises, is a true journey into the past. The area is peppered with tiny bars and restaurants with terraces where you can savour the local cuisine.